Australia is a fascinating country. Big and beautiful, sandy and sunny, but seldom in the news. I learned a lot about it when I visited, maybe more than an average Australian knows. How many of you reading this can name the Australian Prime Minister? Without googling it. Here’s some facts everyone should know – if so only because they are fun.
- Their first police force was made up of well-behaved convicts.
- The Great Barrier Reef is the largest living thing on earth.
This is how the reef looks from above the surface.
3. In 1967 they lost and never found Prime Minister Harald Holt.
4. It’s home to the top ten deadliest snakes.
Thankfully, this isn’t one of them.
5. Australia is the only Western country that doesn’t have a Bill of Rights.
6. Australia has 170 million inhabitants – 150 million being sheep.
They are just as friendly as their two-legged friends.
7. The city of Melbourne used to be called Batmanina.
8. The Selfie is an Australian invention
He was too busy trying to figure out if I had food to smile for this picture.
P.S. This post was inspired by the first chapter of Down Under by Bill Bryson – a must read for anyone planing to go to Australia. Oh, and I googled it, and the prime minister’s name is Malcolm Turnbull.