Most people have been there; in a large room getting warmer by the minute. Filled with too many students. The only sounds the lecturer’s voice and fingers on keyboards. I wish.
1. The sleeper. No matter how much I concentrate – I can’t shut out her snoring. I (barely) resist the urge to “accidentally” spill my water on her.
2. The chewer. That blonde who just can’t stop chewing that gum. Occasionally snapping it. Loudly. Her phone vibrates every other minute. Every other minute.
3. The loud whisperer. The guy whispering none-stop to the girl next to him. Ten bucks they’re together before the semester ends.
4. The writer. He notes everything the lecturer says, and has ink from his pen smeared over his left chin. He’s going to get an A in this, I just know it.
5. The new girl. Unsure of what kind of student she is, she sits almost at the front. She’s twirling a pen between her fingers, trying to ignore all the distractions around her. Trying to ignore all the distractions in her own head. However, she fails and starts thinking about the world outside the crowded room – and her pen slips between her fingers and flies into the back of the head of the guy in front of her.
Yes, that last person is me.